Monday 2 January 2012

Why Didn't He Ask Me Out?

Hi Everyone,

I was away camping last week with my three children as part of a big group. I had a picnic blanket laid out. I was half lying, half sitting on this playing a board game with my daughter. Another girlfriend had joined me with one of her daughters. One of the guys brought a chair over. There was a group of us all sitting around under a tree relaxing in the afternoon.

A man walked past that I had seen at the camp site before. He was HOT, and there was no way I would have missed seeing him. He stopped and spoke directly to me without acknowledging anyone else in the group. Now, I am no expert at reading "signs" but I was pretty sure that this well built, blue eyed, tanned, earthy, understated surfer man was interested. We had a nice chat. He kept holding my gaze that bit longer than normal. All the "signs" were there. Then he went on his way.

Two days later, my daughters bike needed fixing. I had the same picnic blanket out. I had the bike tipped upside down next to the blanket. I had every tool in the tool kit out appearing like I had some idea about what I was doing. After an hour, I was becoming pretty frustrated. At one point, my daughter burst in to tears and ran off crying certain that I had "really broken it now!".

I heard a voice asking if I would like some help. HOT man was back. He had apparently walked past me three times. I had not noticed. I accepted the help as I had no idea what I was doing. HOT man turned out to have a name. It was Shaun. We chatted for half an hour. He fixed my daughters bike. He made sure it was just right for her. We both sat back and watched her joy as she road off and around. Then Shaun went on his way again.

I needed to leave the following day. I was a bit confused how a man that was giving me "signs" had not taken the step of seeking me out again or asking me out. The eye contact was there. The conversation flowed so easily. The attraction was very obviously there. So what happened?!?

Yesterday, I called the managers of the camp site. I always make a point of talking to the people that run these places and had no hesitation in speaking to Laura. The managers knew this man. Laura, part camp site manager and newly appointed match maker, went off on a mission. She called me back half an hour later. Laura's husband had been in. He knew Shaun. Shaun had a girlfriend that he had been seeing for three years. That's why Shaun had not asked me out.

I was initially a little disappointed. It's so rare that a man makes me stop in my tracks like Shaun did. Then I realised that Shaun had given me a gift. I had been wondering what was "wrong" with my attitude to dating. No one seemed to be REALLY exciting me. I will give most men a chance providing they are not displaying axe murderer characteristics. Shaun had shown me there was NOTHING wrong with my attitude. I will make myself available and become excited if the right man is in front of me.

In the interim, I am able to walk away knowing that this man found me attractive enough to engage me in conversation. Shaun went out of his way to speak to me and to help me. I have gained confidence from knowing that I am on the right track in my hunt for a new man. So, why don't men who are obviously interested ask you out? Because they are not available for what ever reason.

They could be already attached; right in the middle of a nasty divorce and not wanting to involve someone else; working 15 hours a day with no room to devote time to anyone; about to board a plane and leave the country...You get the idea.

Men don't ask because they are not available.

It's not about you. You are not going insane as you analyse every detail to pieces wondering if you somehow read the signs "wrong". They are just not available right then and there.

Take the experience and make sure that it stays as a feather in your cap. This man thought enough of you to seek out your time and company irrespective of the circumstances. You are attractive to the men that you are really attracted to and on the right track!

Love and friendship
Leanne xo

No comments:

Post a Comment